The phrase "trademark" refers to the distinctive marks that are used to differentiate one product or service from another. Designs, photos, signs, and even expressions can be used. A group or individual must file for trademark registration in order to have their trademark rights protected.Trademark registration prevents everyone else from imitating the mark (Registered mark) and misleading other items with the registered mark. Customers can recognize a brand and its value more easily when it is registered as a trademark.The intangible asset of a company is a registered trademark. It serves as a protective shield for the corporate logo or brand investment.
BENEFITS OF TRADEMARK REGISTERATION
- Protection for 10 years at low cost-The procedure of registering a trademark online is done at a very minimal cost of upkeep. Once you've registered your trademark, all you have to do now is spend the maintenance and renewal fees, which are due after 10 years. It is cost-effective and aids in the creation of a distinctive image for your firm.
- Protection Against Infringement- The process for registering a trademark on the internet is simple and inexpensive. After you've registered your trademark, the only thing left to do is pay the maintenance and renewal fees, which are required every ten years. It is cost-effective and assists in the development of a unique image for your company.
- Use of symbol- ® -When your trademark is registered, you can use the ® sign in your logo to indicate that it is a registered trademark and that no one else can use it. It is the pinnacle of all forms of rights and usages; if someone else uses your trademark, you can sue them if the trademark is registered.
- Recognition to Product’s Quality-It acknowledges the product's superior quality. People tend to associate the product's quality with the brand name, and this picture of a certain brand's quality is formed in the marketplace, which aids in recruiting new customers because they can distinguish the quality of a product based on the logo/brand name.
- Differentiates Product-Customers will be able to find your products easier with trademark registration, and you will have a distinct identity in the market. It distinguishes your goods and its identity from that of present and anticipated competitors, and it serves as a capable commercial tool. Your company's logo might communicate your company's quality, vision, or distinguishing feature.
- Build Trust and Goodwill-Everyone knows the recognised quality of your goods and services across the trademark, which builds confidence and goodwill among customers in the market. It aids in the generation of long-term clients who are loyal and always choose the same brand.
The following entities are eligible for Trademark Application-
- Private firms,
- Limited Liability Partnership or NGOs.
Trademarks are registered in India by –
- The Controller General of Patents, Designs, and Trademarks,
- Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Government of India.
The Trademark Act of 1999 was used to register the trademark. Brand registration gives you the legal right to sue anyone who tries to use your trademark without permission. A person cannot utilize a trademark that is identical to one that has already been registered.