The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is in charge of issuing food permits to Food Business Operators in India. This is the highest authority established by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and it is responsible for establishing standards for the sale, packaging, and storage of food in India.Also, it was established under the 2006 Food Safety and Standards Act. Similarly, all proprietary food operations must register with the FSSAI and get a license.Innovative foods, foods for particular dietary use, foods for special medical uses, functional foods, nutraceuticals, health supplements, and other articles of food that the central government can inform in this regard are not considered proprietary food.
The Basic FSSAI Registration is required for food business operators such as manufacturers, merchants, and food store owners. Moreover, based on the size or scale of the food industry, there are two categories of food licenses: FSSAI License and Basic FSSAI Registration.
BENEFITS OF FSSAI LICENSE
Anyone who wants to work in the food industry must register with the FSSAI. This includes not only who prepares the food, but also who handles it at various stages before it reaches the diner, such as –
- Raw materials,
- Canteen packing and,
- The distribution as well as the agencies who have authority to sell them.
- Awareness within consumers-Consumers are becoming more aware about the origins and quality of their food, which owes much to the digital age. As a result, having a valid Basic FSSAI Registration increases the level of food credibility and improves the likelihood of enterprises improving.
- Ensures Goodwill and Brand Image-The FSSAI logo, which is well known in the food industry, can ensure consumer goodwill.
- Creates Trustworthiness-On the basis of science-based concepts, it makes eating and quality more reliable and trustworthy.
- Rationalization-Streamlines all of the procedures involved in the production, distribution, and sale of food goods on the market.
- Upholds Cleanliness and Hygiene-When it comes to FSSAI registration, the crucial aspect of cleanliness and hygiene is observed and regulated.
- Expansion and growth-The FSSAI registration has a favourable impact on the company's output and dependability. As a result, FSSAI licence registration provides a significant opportunity for a company to expand and grow.
- Quality assurance through government-According to ISO17025, the FSSAI is also responsible for establishing methods and criteria for the quality assurance of the credited labs. This gives the client confidence that the food is safe to eat in every way because it follows the FSSAI Authority's rules.
BASIC FSSAI REGISTERATION
Every food business operator, including as hawkers, petty shopkeepers, and others, with an annual revenue of up to 12 lacs is required to register with the FSSAI. Apart from proprietor/proprietary food units, the FSSAI authority is currently not accepting any registration applications for Basic FSSAI License.If a food business falls under any of the following categories, a Basic FSSAI Registration is required.